Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Go Local: Brooklyn

The NY Times had an article today on New York's newest crop of bright young things: cottage industry foodies in Brooklyn. The article makes Brooklyn sound like all the creative bits of Seattle, except with an even higher concentration of hipster entrepreneurs. Kind of makes me want to move to Brooklyn...well, except for the whole snow and East Coast thing.

The part I really like was all the bartering that went on within this organic/hyper-local food community - a chocolate maker traded chocolate bars for their convection oven, for example. Then again, I imagine Theo Chocolate could do that same here; chocolate is practically currency even in this day and age. But do they do that? I guess my point is that the NY Times article made me a little jealous - I'd like to see more of that community spirit/economy here in Seattle.

No comments:

Post a Comment