Thursday, October 8, 2009

Sign of the Times - Paramount Theater Sign Replication

I was heading up the hill from downtown about noon on Tuesday when I saw this nice lady and her homemade sign.

It turns out that she has this fun job because the old Paramount sign is being replaced. We got to talking about the process - the historic Paramount sign had been up since 1930 and was now about as sturdy as the Viaduct, so it was coming down and being replaced by a super eco-friendly down-to-the-bolt replica made of recycled aluminum and LEDs.

The work was going pretty quickly. At about eight that morning I had seen someone up at the top of the sign with an arc welder, but by afternoon

it looked like this.

I asked the nice staff lady what was going to happen with the sign. She said that they wouldn't know until it was evaluated for structural integrity, but that the most likely thing was that it would be auctioned off to the highest bidder.


Much better than ending up in a landfill. I just hope the highest bidder is someplace I can visit in Seattle :)

No comments:

Post a Comment