Monday, October 27, 2008

Fire

I woke up this morning to the sounds of helicopters, which means two thing where I'm from: manhunt or car chase. Since this is Seattle and not Southern California, it was neither. As I found out later, 1605 Bellevue caught fire early this morning, and the news choppers had been there since six-thirty or seven to catch footage of the inferno.

Good news - the building was empty because it was slated for demolition (yet another six story mixed-use project to be). Bad news - an elderly man who had lived in the building died in the fire. Why he was still in the building when the place had been vacated...well, in a Times article I just saw, Dennis Saxman states that the man had lived in the building for 40 years. I guess he just didn't want to have to leave home.

No comments:

Post a Comment