Thursday, February 26, 2009

Easy on your butt, hard on the planet

Next on the list of things that are bad for the planet: super soft, extra plushy toilet paper. So sayeth the New York Times: not all wood pulp fiber is created equal - fibers straight from a standing tree are longer than recycled fibers, and "long fibers can be laid out and fluffed to make softer tissue." So if the public demands their TP soft-as-a-cloud, recycled content is out.

I don't know what the big deal is. It's not like the recycled content brands are tree bark; I would know because that's the kind of TP we buy (I'll take one for the planet but I do draw the line at wiping with sandpaper). I guess Charmin Ultra and co. is squishier, but does it really make that much of a difference? Is it important enough to kill more trees for? Is there a secret hemorrhoid epidemic in America!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment